This is my first ever tutorial video.
We will be installing the killer app for Windows and MacOS “League of Legends” on Linux. Hopefully you guys will not encounter any issues during the process.
Here are the steps in plain text:
1. Install playonlinux.
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
2. Launcher the program using the command.
3. Install LoL using the script provided by playonlinux through the normal install feature.
4. Change the wine version to a staging version of 2.0. This is because the staging version has CSMT feature that can be enabled, which improves performance with multi-threading.
5. Go to “configure wine” and enable CSMT under staging tab.
6. [optional] Enable emulate virtual desktop and set the resolution to your heart desire, or the same as your monitor resolution. It is just my personal preference.
7. Launch the game and wait for it to finish installing and updating. Make sure you don’t opt-in for the new client. It doesn’t work properly on this setup, and I don’t think it’s worth the trouble.
8. If your game crashes, try OpenGl. You can do this by
adding “x3d_platform=1” to your game.cfg in ../Riot Games/League of Legends/Config/
9. If your client automatically switches to the new one and doesn’t start, edit the file user.cfg in
../Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system
and change the line
“leagueClientOptIn = yes”
“leagueClientOptIn = no”
10. According to one of my comment, if your game is unable to finish update, just switch to wine version 2.3 for the update.
11. If you get error like this one below, you can just download the game from Riot’s website and run the exe in playonlinux.
Error in POL_System_wgetPOL_System_wget failed: Server issued an error response-2017-04-01 13:31:31- http://l3cdn.riotgames.com/Installer/SingleFileInstall/LeagueOfLegendsBaseNA.exeResolving l3cdn.riotgames.com (l3cdn.riotgames.com)… 22.214.171.124Connecting to l3cdn.riotgames.com (l3cdn.riotgames.com)|126.96.36.199|:80… connected.HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 403 Forbidden2017-04-01 13:31:32 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
1. Wine 2.3 is able to run with much more fps (about 50 fps more), but it crashes after about 2 – 5 minutes. I don’t have a proper benchmark tool so I am only judging from what I see. If you know a good one do comment below, thank you.
2. OpenGl performs much worse than DirectX for LoL with playonlinux (or wine).
how to enable OpenGl http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/help-support/7yGENOe5-how-do-i-configure-lol-to-run-on-opengl
how to disable the new client http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/help-support/jbiWlKVd-i-do-not-want-this-league-client-beta-mod
Video “How to install LoL on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS | wine 2.0” Author: Reformed Bu9zyI0